Thursday, September 23, 2010

Meridian Food Bank

I have worked here before signing up for a service learning program. There's something about it that I really enjoy and keep coming back to. Mostly, the job is passing out food to families. We give everyone a basket of dried goods, like cereal, macaroni and ramen noodles as well as a basket of canned goods, like vegetables, fruit and beans. Larger families with seven or more people get an entire extra basket. The majority of people we get are either big families and a person lost their job, immigrants and older people. A lot of the people are embarrassed about getting their food there, especially the people that were recently laid off. I feel for them, because I know that can't be easy. My family has never been put into a situation like that. I'm lucky, and I feel as though I should give back because of it. I know if I didn't have food, I would want people to support me. Overall, I just enjoy the food bank. It makes me feel like I've helped someone, and that feels good.

No comments:

Post a Comment