Thursday, October 14, 2010

October 13th

I looked at my service log sheet and I have 12 hours so far. That's only 3 hours left and this is only my fourth blog. I'm planning on volunteering even after I've completed my hours so I'm not worried.
We're starting to acquire more and more things for Holiday Baskets. It's mid-way through October and I don't know if we're going to get there. I looked and we only have about 10 cans of gravy, broth and cranberry sauce. If we're seriously going to hand these baskets out, we're going to need a lot more of everything very soon. I hope we have enough in time, or some people are going to go without a Thanksgiving meal. That really breaks my heart, and that's why I like helping there. Food is so basic and yet can be so emotional at the same time. We're not just giving these people food, we're giving them a reason to be happy and celebrate with food. Sometimes the answer is just that simple. I'm bringing in a turkey next week so hopefully that will help.
Towards the end of the shift a girl scout troop donated almost $200 to the food bank. It was a really sweet gesture. I miss those cookie-selling days...
Can't wait till next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment